Wednesday, July 14, 2010

British Open Picks

Going forward I'm going to use the following criteria to pick who I think will do well in golf tournaments: I will pick one player in the top 10 of OWGR (www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps), one player in the next 10, one in the third 10, and one player ranked above 30. I'm basing my picks in part on the fact that with the exception of Nick Faldo the recent six winners at St. Andrews have been some of the longest hitters in the game (Jack, Seve, JD, Tiger).
LEE WESTWOOD (barely edging Rory and Tiger). Beware of an injured golfer. This tournament will be a stern test to his psyche, after his performance at the US Open. He's won here before on the Euro tour.
JUSTIN ROSE (just ahead of Paddy). I know it's supposed to be some sort of weird taboo to win the tournament before a major, but the way he has been playing he has to have loads of confidence at this time.
DUSTIN JOHNSON. You know how when you hit a bad shot with a certain club on a hole you're bound to get that very same shot on the next hole? Well, for Dustin it's another Major, and obviously a test of his psyche as well.
ANGEL CABRERA. He has the power and the experience to do well here. It's about time for him to come out of nowhere to win a major again.
I think Tiger will get another Top 10 here, but I think Phil will struggle. He's just so in love with his own game. The power of his drives, and the freaky flop shots he throws up there. I think he's blinded to the kinds of shots he's going to have to hit in order to do well at St. Andrews.

No comments:

Post a Comment