Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Ryder Cup Picks

Corey Pavin's announcement is only minutes away, and here are the four players I would pick if I were in his shoes: TIGER WOODS - Still #1, and playing better every week. Always an intimidating name in a lineup, no matter what the Euros say about him. STEWART CINK - Hasn't won since The Open last year, but he has been playing well of late, and he's a good clubhouse presence. He has Top-20 finishes in his last four events, which include a WGC event, a major, and two playoff events. SEAN O'HAIR - Another player who hasn't won this year, but he's been very very close. Six Top-12 finishes in his last 10 events. His MC at the PGA was bothersome, as he seemed to be trending up leading into the tournament, but I still think he has the game to contribute. CHARLEY HOFFMAN - He looked great this week, and he's been playing well leading up to this tournament as well, with three Top-10s in his previous five events. If this win was a one-off he wouldn't have a chance to make the team, but he was trending in the right direction previously as well. Here are a couple of close candidates, and why I decided to leave them out: LUCAS GLOVER - No wins since his US Open at Bethpage last year. This year he has three top-10s and seven MCs. I just can't get fired up about having him on the team. ANTHONY KIM - Nobody is a bigger AK fan than I am, but I just can't do it. One T76 and four MCs since his return. Makes you wonder if he rushed back before he was really ready. I know he'll be heartbroken if he is left out, as he cares about this competition as much as anyone else on the planet. ZACH JOHNSON - One win, at Colonial this spring, but only two finishes better than T21 for the rest of the year. He'd be a steadying influence on a young team, but I just don't think he's playing well enough right now.

1 comment:

  1. I think the picks were reasonable. Should be a great Ryder Cup.

    ReplyDelete